Skip to content

Passports, Visas, Travel Checklists

Apply or Renew your U.S. Passport  If you are not a U.S. citizen, contact the Center for International Education to learn about specific procedures. 

Visa preparations.  Visa requirements are determined the country you visit, and requirements vary based on your country of citizenship, length of stay, purpose of visit, etc.  Primary source information is provided by the visiting country's embassy or consulate.  Study Abroad programs often provide country-specific information.  NAFSA provides updated Visas for Education Abroad resources.  Albion's Center for International Education provides supplemental information through individual advising sessions and group discussions.  

Minimum documents that U.S. citizen Albion students studying abroad should bring for immigration controls.  Make two copies of all important documents, and leave one copy at home.  Pack the second copy separate from originals.
  • Valid U.S. passport.   The expiration date should be more than six months after the end of your travels.
  • Valid visa for your destination country, if required.  See above for how to determine if you will need a visa.
  • Copy of acceptance letter from your study abroad program.
  • Copy of all medical insurance coverage documents.
  • Copy of CIE Border Letter, provided at CIE orientation and available in your Brits Abroad portal.  This verifies Albion's payment of your tuition and fees.
  • Copy of supplemental financial documents to reflect how you will cover any additional costs when abroad.
Traveler Checklists and  country-specific safety recommendations are provided by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs.

Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), provided to U.S. Citizens by the U.S. Department of State.

The Center for International Education, or the Affiliated Partner Program representative, are available to answer any questions on this topic.