Skip to content

Health and Safety Abroad

EIIA international health insurance is provided to all Albion study abroad students without any additional charge, see the EIIA International Travel Abroad Insurance Information for an informational overview of coverage.  Questions on EIIA insurance may be directed to Tim Dewitt, Albion College Director of Business and Auxiliary Services.  Note:  Albion College does not provide health insurance coverage for students participating in domestic off-campus programs;  these students are expected to maintain personal coverage during their domestic off-campus program.  

Health and personal safety 
  • Review the Center for Disease Control (CDC) “Health Information for Travelers” to determine health-related considerations for each country to you plan to visit.  
  • Review relevant U.S. Department of State Country Information Sheets and monitor notices from the U.S. Embassy about your destination country.  Consult with Albion's Center for International Education for any destinations with a State Department travel warning.
  • Enroll in STEP – Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.  U.S. passport holders are encouraged to register their passports individually to notify the Embassy/Consulate that they are in-country.  Note that individual enrollment is only available to U.S. citizens. International students should check if their local embassy/consulate offers a similar service and should take steps to enroll.
  • Consult your personal physician for a travel consultation.  Take relevant vaccinations and create a plan to fill needed prescriptions during your out-of-country stay.  *Important:  Prescription drugs that are legal in the United States may not be legal in countries you will visit.  It is very important to be knowledgeable of how medications are handled prior to bringing drugs to another country.  It is recommended that you bring enough of your prescription medications to last the duration of the program and at least an extra week.  Pack them in your carry-on bag and leave them in their original, labeled bottles. Carry a letter from your attending physician that describes the medical condition and any prescription medications, including the generic name of prescribed drugs.  Consult the foreign embassy of the country you are visiting to make sure your medications are permitted in the country you are visiting.
Emergency Resources  Expect to hear from the Center for International Education if there is a security situation in your country of study.  Please keep in touch with us, and let us know how you are doing, or if you need additional help.  CIE,, is always available for any health, safety, or security-related questions.