Skip to content

Academics and Study Abroad

The basics:    All courses on an approved off-campus program will be counted for unit credit at Albion College. Students attending approved off-campus programs are considered students in residence at Albion College and therefore it is the responsibility of each student to follow the academic regulations of Albion College.  Please refer to the college catalog for a complete listing of these regulations.  Listed below are the regulations that most frequently concern off-campus programs.  Off-Campus semesters are not considered when determining eligibility for the Dean's List and/or Albion Fellows. 

Choosing study abroad coursework:    The Off-Campus Course and Credit Evaluation Form will be used to evaluate the courses that you will take at your off-campus program.  A description of the process is on the OCP Forms page.  See the Credit Transfer Equivalencies page for more information on requirements and how coursework will be applied.

Changes to pre-approved coursework or program participation:   If course registration changes at any point during the program, you are responsible for informing the Registrar of these changes.  If you withdraw from an off-campus program before the completion of the semester, you must notify the Director of Off-Campus Programs and the Registrar in writing.
Credit/ No Credit (CR/NC):  Your classes will automatically be recorded with the numeric grade assigned unless you notify the Registrar's Office that you wish to have courses as credit/ no credit.   If you take a class CR/NC, only the credit transfers back (not the numeric grade), thus it will not affect your GPA. If you wish to have the numeric grade, both the credit and the grade is factored into your semester and overall GPA.  IMPORTANT:  All classes that will be applied to a major/minor/concentration must be taken for a numeric grade. 
Major/ Minor/ Concentration credit:  Courses taken for a major, minor, concentration or for the education program require a numeric grade, and must be approved in writing by the Department Chair.  This may be completed through the application process or when you return to campus.  This approval must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar.  
Mode or Category Requirements:  Any mode or category requirements completed while on an off-campus program must be approved by the Registrar and appropriate faculty committee.  This can be done prior to your leaving campus or upon your return to campus.  You will need to submit a course syllabus for any off- campus course you are petitioning to have count as a mode or category.   Reference the Modes and Categories Grid before choosing study abroad classes for mode/category requirements. If you wish to get Global Studies category credit for your international off-campus program, see the Global Studies Category and Study Abroad link for details.
Senior Spring Study Abroad:   Participation in an off-campus program during the last semester of the senior year may delay your graduation date.  It often takes many weeks to receive transcripts from off-campus programs, but once received that information is processed and entered on your record within two days. 

Honors Thesis and Senior Study Abroad:  Students completing an honors thesis and studying abroad in their senior year should contact the Honor's Program to organize a thesis committee early, and make a timeline on how to meet required deadlines and dates.  In many cases, study abroad research can be applied to the thesis topic.
Contacts for questions:
If at any time you have questions about these requirements, please the Office of the Registrar through the following means. 
MAIL               Albion College, Office of the Registrar, 611 E. Porter Street, Albion, MI 49224
PHONE           517-629-0216
FAX                 517-629-0476